Position: Digital Marketing Specialist
Purpose: As a member of the Communications Team, the Digital Marketing Specialist is responsible for implementing EdChoice website and email marketing strategies. Responsibilities include managing outside contractors to drive SEO and UX improvements to EdChoice.org and other owned microsites, and supporting a robust email marketing strategy to engage new and existing audiences. The Digital Marketing Specialist is also responsible for collecting and analyzing data on the performance of EdChoice platforms and communications outputs and making recommendations for improvements.
Supervised by: Vice President of Communications
- Optimize user experience with website interface and serve as point-of-contact for external web developers.
- Directs search engine optimization (SEO) of all EdChoice content.
- Respond to and troubleshoot website issues.
- Responsible for regularly updating website content and data and ensuring navigation is accessible and functions properly.
- Manage and work with EdChoice staff to ensure Our Team, EdChoice Experts, and the EdChoice Job Board are actively up-to-date.
- Build new landing pages for the website, including blog posts, podcasts, research reports and polls, new program pages, and other new content or campaign-specific pages.
- Improve user experience on website by implementing recommendations included in web audit.
- Lead EdChoice transition to GA4.
- Manage Google Ads campaigns.
- Execute digital marketing campaigns to attract new donors in collaboration with the Vice President of Communications and outside contractors.
- Ensure website is in compliance with all laws and regulations and is up-to-date with industry standards.
Analytics and Data Management
- Regularly evaluate and report on website, social media, and email performance analytics; make recommendations for improvement; and implement changes accordingly.
- Support the Vice President of Communications in tracking team progress toward goals, product output and performance.
State Partner Support
- Support state partners through ongoing consultation relating to duties of role (website SEO, owned audience growth, digital marketing, etc).
- Participate in EdChoice-led trainings offering area expertise as needed.
- Create training resources.
- Execute the technical aspects of organization’s email marketing efforts including building and sending emails.
- Maintain Salesforce.com and Marketing Cloud send lists, incorporating database fields as needed.
- Build and schedule mass emails for multiple departments including newsletters, research releases, and legislative and legal updates.
- Create and build email journeys including: maintaining and updating welcome journey, creating new engagement journeys, and developing targeted journeys to build subscriber base.
- Build out new, segmented email lists, adhering to best practices.
- Maintain triggered emails including: online donation receipts, event-related emails, and opt-in emails.
- Advise team on ways to effectively engage new audiences and enhance the experiences and engagement of existing subscribers.
- Leverage Marketing Cloud tools and CSS/HTML to innovate on the email platform, including new personalization and customization options and incorporating new interactive functions.
- Ensure organization’s email marketing adheres to all laws, regulations, and best practices.
- Track email statistics including open, click-through, and delivery and deliverability rates to maintain the health of the email channel.
- Monitor and report on the performance of email campaigns.
- Use ReturnPath tools to track and improve email deliverability.
- Stay up-to-date on new Marketing Cloud releases and integration updates.
- Manage Marketing Cloud data following the latest best practices.
- Drive list growth with new campaigns and tactics in tandem with Communications and other EdChoice teams
- Train and support Communications interns as needed.
- Serve as vital part of Communications team, actively working to communicate EdChoice mission, increase engagement, and maintain brand.
Education and Experience
- 3-5 years working in a digital role with website management and email marketing experience.
- Familiarity with web development and analytics strongly preferred.
- Experience with Salesforce Marketing Cloud strongly preferred.
- Ability to manage contract vendors and drive deadline and results-oriented projects.
- Experience working in a nonprofit communications department is preferred, but not required.
- Experience working with remote team a plus.
- Bachelors’ degree or equivalent experience.
- Passion for EdChoice mission.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to manage vendors.
- Open to feedback and desire to evaluate performance and identify tactics for improvement.
- Strong written and verbal communicator.
- Self-starter, proactive employee who takes initiative, especially in terms of understanding organizational culture and becoming part of team.
- High desire to execute strategy.
This role can be based in Indianapolis, Indiana, or remote. Remote applicants should be willing to travel to Indianapolis regularly. Regardless of location, applicant may be asked to travel a few times a year.
Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter detailing interest in and support of educational choice and joining EdChoice, and two-three writing samples to carey@EdChoice.org by June 6, 2023.
EdChoice is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization dedicated to advancing full and unencumbered educational choice as the best pathway to successful lives and a stronger society. EdChoice believes that families, not bureaucrats, are best equipped to make K-12 schooling decisions for their children. The organization works at the state level to educate diverse audiences, train advocates and engage policymakers on the benefits of high-quality school choice programs. EdChoice is the intellectual legacy of Milton and Rose D. Friedman, who founded the organization in 1996.
EdChoice, Inc., is an equal opportunity employer and does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, or any status protected by law, in any of its activities or operations. All qualified applicants will receive consideration. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, subcontractors, and partners.