Elementary and Secondary School Tuition Deduction
- Individual Tax Credit/Deduction
- Enacted 2008
- Launched 2008
Louisiana Elementary and Secondary School Tuition Deduction is open to any taxpayer who has private schooling expenses, including private school tuition and fees, uniforms, textbooks, curricular materials, lab schools, and any supplies required by the school. Learn more about the program’s details on this page, including eligibility, funding, regulations, legal history, and more.
We do not administer this program.
Participating Taxpayers (2017)
of Students Eligible Statewide
Average Tax Deduction (2017)
Average Deduction as a Percentage of Public School Per-student Spending
Louisiana’s Elementary and Secondary School Tuition Deduction Participation
The deductions are worth 100 percent of the total amount spent on tuition, fees and other eligible expenses at private schools. Taxpayers may deduct up to $5,000 per child. Deductions are worth 100 percent of the total amount spent on tuition, fees and other eligible expenses at private schools.
All K–12 Louisiana private school students are eligible. Any taxpayer that has private school educational expenses may claim the deduction.
EdChoice Expert Feedback
Louisiana’s individual tax deduction is promising in that any K–12 child enrolled in private school in the state qualifies. Similarly, the deduction does not place any mandates on private schools or service providers. However, in practical use, the $5,000 per student cap is relatively small for a family’s education expenses and only benefits those households that have state tax liability, resulting in diminished purchasing power. For the program to serve more families successfully, Louisiana would have to increase the deduction size.
Rules and Regulations
- Income Limit: None
- Prior Year Public School Requirement: None
- Geographic Limit: Statewide
- Enrollment Cap: None
- Individual Deduction Cap: $5,000/student
- Testing Mandates: None
- Enroll student in a compliant private elementary or secondary school or any public elementary or secondary laboratory school operated by a public college or university
- Claim only elementary and secondary school tuition, including:
- School uniforms required by schools for general day-to-day use
- Textbooks, curricula or other instructional materials required by schools
- School supplies required by schools
No legal challenges have been filed against the program.
Elementary and Secondary School Tuition Deduction State Groups
That Support School Choice
The Louisiana Federation for Children is affiliated with American Federation for Children. This organization seeks to empower families, especially lower-income families, with the freedom to choose the best K–12 education for their children.